About this Journal
Catholic Education: A Journal of Inquiry and Practice is the only refereed research journal in the United States devoted to Catholic Education. First founded by Fordham University, Saint Louis University, the University of Dayton, and the University of San Francisco with a grant from the Lilly Endowment, the journal is now supported by 17 Catholic colleges and universities, including the current host, Loyola Marymount University. The LMU School of Education will host the journal for a period of five years beginning in June 2013.
The journal is published twice each year in September and March. Each issue maintains a balance of articles focused on K-12 and higher education. Thus, Catholic Education appeals to K-12 teachers and administrators, diocesan and parish staff, and professors and administrators in higher education.
- To support Catholic education and its contributions around the globe.
- To contribute to the creation of a new vision of Catholic education by: exploring important issues that challenge the field; drawing upon the philosophical and theological traditions of Catholic education, as well as an interdisciplinary perspective, in analyzing these issues; examining selected research studies that relate to the purposes and practices of Catholic education; and promoting leadership in Catholic Education.
- To nourish the ministerial role of educators by exploring the relationship between Christian faith and professional practice.
- To challenge Catholic educators to rethink from an inquiry orientation their positions on the major questions confronting their institutions and their current practice.
Focus and Scope
Catholic Education: A Journal of Inquiry and Practice publishes original scholarship on all aspects of Catholic education, seeking both U.S. and international perspectives on Catholic elementary, secondary, and higher education. We welcome submissions of empirical qualitative and quantitative research, literature reviews, theoretical works, and book reviews. All manuscripts considered for publication must reflect clearly the journal’s mission and purpose.
Topics of interest may include:
- Catholic school leadership and management
- school finance
- the law and Catholic schools
- school choice
- community development
- school governance
- Catholic higher education
- spiritual development of educational leaders and teachers
- social, philosophical, and theological foundations of education
- contexts of Catholic schooling
- social justice
- equity and access in education
- Catholic social teaching
- histories of Catholic schooling
- international perspectives on Catholic education
- bilingual, multilingual, and multicultural education
- curriculum and instruction
- educational administration and supervision
- educational assessment and evaluation
- pedagogical methods
- special education and approaches to inclusion
- teacher education and professional development
- early childhood education
- best practices in Catholic education
In addition to the main section of peer-reviewed articles, each issue of the journal includes a Focus Section curated by a guest editor. The focus section includes a mix of invited essays and peer-reviewed research articles. Each issue also includes reviews of new books relevant to Catholic education research and practice.
Sponsorship and Support
Catholic Education: A Journal of Inquiry and Practice is supported through the generous contributions of the host institution and the sponsoring colleges and universities represented on the Governing Board.
The Governing Board consists of representatives from institutions that share an interest in advancing the knowledge base in Catholic education. For information on becoming a member of the Governing Board, please contact the managing editor
Additional infrastructural and technical support for publishing the journal through Digital Commons is provided by the Loyola Marymount University William H. Hannon Library
Catholic Education: A Journal of Inquiry and Practice is published in accordance with following Policies.
Please direct questions about submissions, journal policies and procedures, or general inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Catholic Education: A Journal of Inquiry and Practice
Attn: Rebecca Herr Stephenson, Managing Editor
Loyola Marymount University
School of Education
1 LMU Drive
University Hall, Suite 1760
Los Angeles, CA 90045